Diary of a Metal Mommy

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Happy Birthday Vivian!!

How is it possible that I have an 11 year old daughter?! Good grief, an official 'tween'. Right about this time 11 years ago I was heading to the hospital for my scheduled birth. I was about a week late, and the doctor was worried that the baby would get too big! I was 3 centimeters dilated and 80% effaced for 2 weeks, I kid you not. (I know this means nothing to people who have never had children, but bear with me. no pun intended.) Believe you me, I was ready. I wasn't thrilled about the idea that it wasn't going to happen as nature intended, but, there it is. For a person who thrives on being over-prepared, it was kind of nice to try to make myself get a good night's sleep the night before, and get up to eat a healthy light breakfast like a good pregnant-lady-getting-ready-to-give-birth should.

As it is as I stood in the kitchen my water broke on its own. Nothing dramatic, thank goodness...no amniotic fluid gushing all over the floor. But I was quite happy knowing that that day and time was meant to be after all. And speaking of amniotic fluid gushing, one of the funniest memories I have of that day is that very thing happening after I got to the hospital. I had my lovely hospital gown on, had been poked and prodded and told that yes indeed, my water had broken and I was having mild contractions, when I decided to again be a good pregnant-lady-getting-ready-to-give-birth and get up to use the bathroom. As I started to walk across the floor, GUSH. Coreman stood there horrified, saying, "Gross!!!!!" Of course that made me laugh and laugh, and I slipped and slid my way to the bathroom. What a sight that must have been.

About 6 1/2 hours later, our little daughter was part of this world. A HUGE part of this world, at over 9 pounds. I remember upon delivery the nurses couldn't wait to weigh her, saying, "This could be a 10 pounder!" Like I gave birth to a fish or something. Vivian was born with a huge thatch of black hair--what a cutie!

And now, 11 years later, that little baby has grown into an amazing girl. Loving, smart, clever, witty, talented, beautiful. Am I lucky or what?! Remind me of all of this when she turns 14.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 6:06 AM, Blogger ROBOTTONY said…

    Happy Birthday Vivian!!!

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A happy birthday to your wonderful daugther. Enjoy those times - before you know it, she leaves home...

    Have a great day, Vivian! ;-)

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    Thanks, you guys! That's so sweet!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home