Diary of a Metal Mommy

Friday, March 02, 2007

Beatin' The Odds

Thursday night we had the honor and priviledge to attend the Beat the Odds awards dinner as Marian Wright Edelman's guests. All I can say is, wow. This event honored four high school seniors who have overcome incredible obstacles in their lives and have not only gotten through them, but have thrived. We're talking about kids who have had horrible experiences such as childhood abuse, cancer, poverty, pregnancy, death of loved ones and parents, even one child who was forced to live as a very young soldier, seeing and causing death all around him. It was such a moving night, it totally made you feel as if you had nothing to ever complain about. I was so glad my kids were with me to experience such amazing people. And hearing Marian Wright Edelman speak--talk about an amazing person! Just the fact that anyone could possibly say my name and hers in the same breath is such an honor to me. We braved the snowstorm to get there, it was totally worth it! It wasn't even really that bad out--in fact, it was the quickest downtown commute during rush hour that we've ever done, being that most people were off the roads!

Friday the kids actually had a bonafide snow day, which is almost unheard of here these days. It's sad, I remember getting at least a couple every winter growing up in Iowa. Of course it meant that I had to be out helping my mom shovel/snowblow the driveway, but hey. It wasn't being at school. There was always enough time to get out and make a snow fort. And there is actually enough snow around here for some good play as well. It's funny how rare that is these days. I know many people are grumbling, but not I. It's March! It will soon be spring!!!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Susie, how're you doing?

    At least you're enjoying the snow. That's goooood ;-)

    I don't know if you like 'Calvin & Hobbes', but I really love them... Got some great comics from their Snow-adventures and would like to share them with you:
    - Comic 1
    - Comic 2

    Hugs,
    Rob

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yup pretty cool

     

Post a Comment

<< Home