Diary of a Metal Mommy

Saturday, March 25, 2006

A Day of Culture

Most days I sit around and feel badly about how I feel like our family rarely does anything. Oh, we are very blessed in many things and many ways, but I'm talking more about sheer laziness. We never go see shows, rarely go to art museums, things like that. So I was feeling pretty good yesterday, cuz we just happened to do both!!!

I was sitting here on yet another gloomy March day wondering what the heck I'd do with the kids on their day off from school. For whatever reason, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts popped into my head as a great place to go. Now, I realize that asking a 5 year old to appreciate art is a little ridiculous, but I figured any place other than THE HOUSE where he could run (or, walk) off some steam would be a good thing. And sneak a little bit of culture in at the same time. Plus it's free. So what's not to like?!

Vivian brought her notebook so she could take some sort of notes about the art. (cute!) I have no idea what she was writing, but I'm sure it made her feel important. What a great place, I had not been there in YEARS. I highly recommend it. There is just something about seeing a real Maxfield Parrish or VanGogh in person that is pretty amazing. Even if I was looking at them in warp speed. Sullivan did pause long enough at this painting to say, "Now, THAT'S a Sullivan thing!" Hilarious. Maybe there's hope for him yet. :-) No butt plugs at this museum (see earlier blog entry about prostate warmers at the Science Museum!), but there were some nice paintings of crucifixions and bloody severed heads for the Gross Factor. That always makes things more interesting.

Then last night was opening night for Jesus Christ Superstar, the musical Vivian is in at the church! What a great time. Now granted, it is painful Community Theater, and some people may not exactly consider that culture, but I have to say there is some serious talent involved in that show. You just have to overlook the small things like 11 year olds playing apostles, stuff like that. Vivian was shining, so obviously in her element. Kim, Brian and Emily came, complete with opening-night flowers for Vivian. So sweet!!!

So, a little culture for the Shuberts. Now I can go back to letting the kids watch Scooby Doo and not feel so guilty for a while.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What's so bad about watching Scooby Doo if it inspires the Bloody Nipple of a Wiccan? Where else - the Art Institute? Hell to the no! - could such inspiration come from? You are seriously underselling poor Scoob.

    Although I have to give the Art Insitute credit for inspiring A to ask, upon staring at one of the nude paintings, why does she have all of that disgusting hair? And she was right, it was out of control. Classic paintings are fine for rosy cheeks and flowing (head!) hair, but the rest, uh, kinda ug. Then there was the trip with 4-yr old Nathan, and Stacey, where after Nathan checked out all the cool swords he dissolved and I literally had to drag him across the floor, howling, like a rag. Sigh.

    I'm so glad opening night went so well! Woo hoo for Vivian! Can't wait to take it all in on Apr 2!

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Oh HILARIOUS, I know exactly what painting you are talking about, with the Mondo Bush!!!!!!! What was I thinking, I should have gotten a photo of that! Now that's art! Ha!~

     

Post a Comment

<< Home