Diary of a Metal Mommy

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

A Penumbra Conundrum

Every time Vivian brings home her math homework, I cringe. I pray Coreman will be around to help if she has questions. Math was never a good subject of mine, and I have to tell you--along with everything else these days, the 4th grade math level now is wayyyy ahead of things we used to do as a kid at that age. I'm seriously wondering what the heck I'm gonna do as the years go by and the math just keeps getting more complicated. I'll need to hire a tutor for myself so I can tutor my daughter. LAME!

On the other hand, the one thing I have always been proud of is my ability to spell and the general use of the English language. You know, the typical creative vs. logical thing. I am the creative type, all the way. The only person I know that is good at both is my husband. He claims he's bad at math, but yet he can both program a computer and illustrate on one equally as well. Damn him.

Everything I thought I knew about this subject was challenged when Vivian brought home her latest spelling list. I have been increasingly amazed at the challenge these lists possess for our poor innocent 4th graders. Was I spelling 'decedent' in 4th grade? Or 'gingham'? I was probably spelling 'spandex', since that's what I was wearing. (well, maybe not quite yet. but it was definitely in my future...) I'm pretty darn sure I was not given the word 'penumbra'--in fact, I'm quite sure I've never heard that word before in my life. Maybe a lot of you out there are losing faith in me as you read, but, am I the only one here who thinks this word is ridiculous to give 9 and 10 year olds?! Penumbra?! I had to look it up on my trusty online dictionary so I could use it in a damn sentence for her as I quizzed her for study. Here's what I got:

<n. pl. pe·num·brae (-br) or pe·num·bras
1. A partial shadow, as in an eclipse, between regions of complete shadow and complete illumination. See Synonyms at shade.
2. The grayish outer part of a sunspot.
3. An area in which something exists to a lesser or uncertain degree: “The First Amendment has a penumbra where privacy is protected from governmental intrusion” (Joseph A. Califano, Jr.).
4..An outlying surrounding region; a periphery: “Downtown Chicago and its penumbra also stand rejuvenated” (John McCormick).>>

O...K....try explaining those to a 9 year old. For most of them you need a definition for the definition. And I can be pretty confident in saying that most 9-10 year olds don't use this word in daily conversation. Or even once a year.

"Hey Emily, look at that boy on the playground! He's hiding in the penumbra!"
"Mom, do I really need sunblock? Maybe the penumbras kill some of the UV rays..."
"Even though my room is a pit, it's penumbra is quite clean..."

(notice I am not even going to attempt using definition #3 in a sentence!!!)

Ah, the importance of education. Whoever is in charge of the curriculum is definitely on top of things. Now when my daughter is dating a guy who studies astronomy, she'll sound like she knows what she's talking about. All because of her 4th grade spelling list. I guess when they say you learn from your children, they weren't kidding!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home