Diary of a Metal Mommy

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Horseplay


Well, after 4 1/2 years of his little life, Sullivan finally has a bed frame. Up until now he's had his mattress on the floor. It was the best transition from the crib--we did it with Vivian, too--they don't have far to fall when they inevitably roll out of bed! Vivian got a frame not long after she was floor-bound, but Sullivan...well, we got a bit lazy with him as far as that goes. Plus he was having so much fun jumping on his mattress. Now there will definitely be no jumping--the boy has a bunk bed! I know, there is absolutely no reason for Sullivan to have a bunk bed. Vivian has her own room and bed upstairs, and we are NOT planning on having another child! But, uncharacteristically, Cory was actually the softie this time--any time we'd go look at frames Sullivan would say, "I REALLY want a bunk bed!" and the Coreman caved. As the neurotic mother I was totally against it, of course. Not only do I have to worry about my own child breaking his neck, but what about all of his little playmates that come over? The only thing that made me agree was from the get-go, Sullivan always announced that he would sleep on the bottom, and Vivian would sleep on the top. (cute!) At this point we don't even have a mattress for the top--but that will be fixed soon. In fact, knowing me, I will have the whole thing outfitted faster than you can say, "IKEA". I mean, heck, the bottom and top beds have to MATCH! Oh man, though, that means I have to have the Ikea Experience. I do not enjoy the Ikea Experience, as much as they like to tout it. But that's for another post.

One annoying thing about this bunk is that they decided it was a good idea to type all of these safety rules in black print on one of the headboards. Being a nice light pine, it's totally visable from wherever you look at the thing. I suppose that's the whole idea of safety, but please. Cory and I did get a good laugh, though, from this point in the list: "Prohibit horseplay on or under the bed". Yes, it really says 'horseplay'. We made sure to make a point of telling this to Sullivan. It must have made an impression. When we got to preschool, the first thing he said to the teachers after inviting them over to spend the night was that there couldn't be any horseplay. That will be a good one to remind him of when he's about 16--I can really gross him out!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Word of warning...boys still jump, even on (& off) bunk beds!! :o) I remember Dan and Phillip and Josh in Phillip's room, every other weekend... 'CRASH'!! Jumping off of the top bunk! The room was very small and the ceiling fan was very close to the top bunk...no problem unless you're 'jumping' off of the bunk! :o) I constantly told them to stop; 'You're going to knock yourself out on the ceiling fan'! Well, then it happened...'CRASH'...laughter...one down, 2 to go...'CRASH'...laughter... one more... 'CRASH' ~ 'THUMP' ~ Quiet...oh God, how I hate it when they get quiet...I ran to see Josh on the floor, somewhat dazed, with Dan and Phillip staring down at him with amazement...and then the laughter started!! Ah... just a lump on the head...and the fan hasn't worked since! :o) Boys!!! Gotta love 'em! :o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home