Diary of a Metal Mommy

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The End of an Era

I swear, having your kid find out the truth about Santa has to be one of the saddest moments. It happened to Vivian last night. I was with her as she was getting ready for bed and she says to me, "All the kids at school are saying that Santa is the parents..." I'm playing the coy Mom, saying, "ALL the kids? Did you speak to ALL of them?" But soon she was at my feet and looking me right in the eye. "Is Santa the parents, Mom? I want to know the truth..." How can a parent lie to that? I knew she was ready. It's funny how with things like that, before they happen, you worry about how you are going to handle it. Then when it comes up it's amazing how obvious it is that it's the right time. Of course the realization about Santa also brought out the truth about the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny as well. She just kept asking me questions, slow tears running down her cheeks. It almost was worse than a sob. She kept nodding and couldn't help but smile a bit as it all came together for her. My little girl is growing up, and that's a scary thing for both of us, I think! Oh, to still believe in Santa Claus. It's a sad day indeed when you realize there is no magic. Thank goodness for Harry Potter!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    and don't forget about LOVE!!! That's the greatest magic of all, little sis!! :o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home