Diary of a Metal Mommy

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Let it Snow!

Wow, it started snowing before I went to bed last night and it is still going today! I love the snow. Even though I don't get my lazy butt out and do anything in it, I still love looking at it. Lucky me, I don't even have to shovel it. It's the only good thing to come out of having a bunk back. (and another plus to having a great husband...!)

Back in the days when I had a decent back--you know, the days of my youth--I actually tried skiing once. Once. We weren't one of those families that did that kind of stuff together. It always amazed me that my friend Gabi's family would go on ski trips every year--sometimes even to Austria! I mean, were they all in the Olympics or something?? I never even ice skated as a kid--Skateland, the roller rink, was the closest I ever got to that. And the only reason it happened at Skateland was because there were walls around to stop myself. (well, okay, and boys to do the Moonlight skate with...I would totally humiliate myself just to have the chance to hold Bryan VanZante's sweaty hand whilst skating around in circles to "Waiting For a Girl Like You", by Foreigner)

But I digress. I know you really are dying to hear about me making a fool of myself on the slopes. In high school it was someone's grand idea to take our class on a ski trip to the local ski hill--wherever that was, in Iowa! I decided I was going to do it right...I started with some dumb little instruction to learn the basics. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't even do the snowplow thing without getting my skis crossed. After most of the morning tripping over my skis, I finally started to be able to make it down the Bunny Hill without too much trouble. I was feeling pretty spunky. I thought, what the heck? I'll try one of the big hills! Big mistake. Not being able to snowplow to slow myself down, my natural instinct was just to kneel down low. Well, anyone who skis knows that when you do this, it just makes you go faster! So my entire downhill experience was going for a while all hunkered down until I got going too fast, and then tipping myself over to stop! I got near the end of the hill and was horrified to notice that the last part of it was a very steep slope and across the bottom was the line of skiers waiting for the ski jump! I could totally picture myself plowing through them. With this thought in mind I proceeded to take off my skis and walk the rest of the way down the hill! It was humiliating and I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but at least I didn't take anyone down with me. I saved that for trying to get off the ski jump.

So, if I ever ski again, my version will simply be spending time in the vicinity of it--in the lodge by the fire, sipping Hot Toddies and waving to all of the fools out the window. And for now, I'll just enjoy looking at the snow from the window of own cozy house. Today we made Gingerbread cookies, and I tell you, that is a feat in itself. I'm ready for a Hot Toddy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home