Diary of a Metal Mommy

Saturday, July 07, 2007

More Fun in the Hot Hot Sun

Or in the shade, as often as we can be there in this balmy weather. Last night we had the Billadeaus and pizza on our patio. (not necessarily in that order.) Nice! Nothing like some good food and good fun with chatting and Ladder Ball. What is it about lawn games that is so darn fun? You stand around and swat away bugs, but still. Good times.

Today we went to see/hear my friend Eva's band Umbrella Bed play outside in the Walker Sculpture Gardens. What fun! Their ska music is definitely something you can't sit still to as you're listening. Even Sullivan got up and did some dancing. Sadly the kids didn't last long before they wanted to walk around and we eventually found ourselves inside the cool building looking at art. I'm one of those people who just doesn't 'get' a lot of modern art. I'm sure if I knew more about how it was made and what the artist was trying to get across it would be different, but so much of that stuff makes me scratch my head and go, 'huh'? Or worse yet I think, pshaw, give me a canvas and I could splash some paint on there..voila! Modern Art.

Sometimes things do catch my eye however, and I love it when that happens. Today I discovered a new artist that intrigued me, her name is Julie Mehretu. These are the kind of paintings/sketches that I could look at for hours. To me they are retro yet modern, clean yet ethereal. Industrial, yet one can also envision trees and movement in them. Sheesh, listen to me--the next thing you know I'm going to start wearing a beret and snapping my fingers, spouting off poetry whilst I sip my double half-caff latte with no foam. Anyway, I like her stuff. Too bad the Walker didn't have any posters or postcards available.

We did however nab a couple of cool Picasso prints that we're gonna frame and add to our changing living room. Picasso is one of those artists that much of the time I don't 'get', but there are definitely some of his paintings that I enjoy. I have noticed that the older I get, the more appreciation I have for the abstract. I'm sure both prints I bought would have elicited a loud resounding "eeeeuuu"! from me in my younger years.

So I'm feeling quite artsy fartsy today, having taken in fine music and fine art. Oh! (said in a snooty English accent) Is there any way to sweat distinguishably??? If so, I'll try to do it as a carry on through the sweltering weekend...

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Enjoy your holiday, Susie ;-)

    Today, I got finally my Bachelor degree.
    So now I'll be away for a couple of weeks, to the French Alps.

    Au revoir,
    Rob

    Visit my MySpace Blog

     

Post a Comment

<< Home