Diary of a Metal Mommy

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Good Times

Good times to be had by all at Bar Billadeau last night. Kim was worried at one point that Pat might cancel because of an impending storm....I guess as a kid at any dark cloud he would sequester himself down in the basement with the essentials...a radio, flashlight, blanket (for falling glass) and a bag of Doritos. I decided to make him feel more at ease I'd let him borrow Sullivan's handy emergency generator-powered wind up radio complete with flashlight and siren, and of course the chips. (forgot the blankie. But I figured Kim would have that.) Here's a photo of Pat looking afraid, but really there was nothing to fear. Just some wind, not even a drop of rain. Poor Pat, I think he really wanted to take home that full bag of Doritos, but alas, big sister Kim ripped into 'em and he was forced to share. I didn't get home until midnight with a sore throat from all my laughing. I was a tired Metal Mommy this morning!

Busy day today. I have a lot of errand running to do during my last few days of freedom before the kids are home from school for the summer. One of my errands was to run to the Mall (gee darn) to get some make up. Stephanie got me hooked on an eye pencil from Bobbi Brown--it was one of her rejects that I stole from Vivian's stash--and as it is getting down to the nubbins I had to go get a replacement. I ended up getting two--one of that color, and one a lighter color that seems more suitable for summer days to me. Then I decided to head over to Lancome and splurge on a mascara. I hate spending money on mascara, it seems so boring and dumb to me. But, I will say, there is a difference between the spendy ones and the drugstore ones. I try to go cheap and I always end up with clumps. There is nothing more frustrating than clumpy mascara. Lancome was having a 'free gift' thing--man, I love those things--but wouldn't you know I was $6 under the minimum purchase to get it?? Good grief. Even though I really wanted it I refused to buy something else that I didn't really need or want purely on the principal of the thing. If a girl spends $23 on a flipping mascara then she should surely get a free gift. As if reading my mind, the sales lady then plopped a clear plastic tote on the counter chock-full of lipsticks and eyeshadow quads, telling me that they made some sort of 'announcement' over the loudspeaker and that I got to pick 2 things out of that bag. Nice! So I did get a free gift after all...maybe not the tote and the flip flops, but who needs flip flops when you've got pearly pink Crocs?? I had to kind of laugh at the announcement thing--don't get me wrong, I'm happy they do it, but what is Macy's now...Kmart? The whole Blue Light Special thing?? Too funny.

This afternoon Sully and I will head over to Vivian's school to hear her and her classmates read reports that they've done. It's a very cute thing that her class seems to do twice a year, they make a party out of it. According to Vivian's disappointment I guess I am not the cool Mom since I am bringing something healthy as a snack--I realize it's not very metal to bring grapes instead of cupcakes to a school function but hey, I'm just bringing was was asked of me. Don't you remember that, tho? How the snack you brought to school totally reflected your coolness-factor? Hey, it could have been the roasted cauliflower I am eating right now as my lunch. (thank you, Stephanie!) For some reason I am the only one who appreciates that in this family....

And tonight a retirement party for one of Vivian's old teachers. I'm very sad to see her go, I was hoping that eventually Sullivan could have her as well. Sigh, the passing of time brings change. Some good, some bad, some bittersweet. I think I'll go back to lunch with my cauliflower and my sweet son who just got home from school and revel in the moment.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    just for the record, I am NOT really afraid of storms. I am a GROWN man. Also, I was able to get the half a bag of Doritos back home, and have been pulling them out once a night to allow myself to snack on one while giggling like a school girl.

    Eye pencil from Bobby Brown, as in "Whitney Houston" Bobby Brown? And why would you buy eye makeup from that guy?

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    THAT Bobby Brown make up? That's hilarious. But hell-to-the-no, a make up artist-Bobby Brown. Oh, and now that I think about it, it's really Bobbi Brown, with an I. No wonder you were confused. I'll have to change that.

    But I suppose Bobby Brown could do his own make up line...that's his prerogative after all....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home