Diary of a Metal Mommy

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day!

To all of you Dads out there. Hope you're having a wonderful day! Coreman's began with wonderful homemade goodies from the kids and a nice breakfast of peanut butter toast and strawberries made by Viv. Then at church he got to lector and read aloud the word 'bosom' not once, but twice. Well, I guess two bosoms are better than one. Amen!

It's been a fun-filled weekend. Our neighborhood parade was yesterday, I have a running date with my friend Darcie and family to meet by the corner and celebrate the festivities together. What is it about a parade?? There's always laughs to be had at the 'Daughters of the Westerly Winds', the thought of sinking your teeth into a giant Big Mac or getting attacked by the Vulcans, a group of guys that always seem to mark Darcie and I with their black grease paint 'V's on our cheeks. Ug. At least it's not kissing anymore, they used to come around and plant one on you! Not PC anymore, I'm sure, so no more of that. As much as we groan when we see the dreaded Vulcans come down the road, it dawned on me that the day they pass us right on by without so much as a glance to mark the pretty young thing across the street will be a sad day indeed. Then we'll know we are REALLY old!!! This year even Sullivan got branded.

And who should come marching--or riding!--down the street about halfway through the parade? My daughter herself. She and Coreman marched for the Children First organization. We were all going to do it, but between my aching back (that still hasn't completely recovered from the gourmet dinner night!) and the fact that Sullivan would really much rather watch than participate, he and I sat on the sidelines. I was a little disappointed, I have to admit...I had my pageant wave downpat. Vivian had hers going, though...so much that she complained of a sore wrist afterwards! Hilarious. I don't think she got much sympathy from the sweaty walkers.

After getting myself washed up and dolled up, my friend Donna and I went out for a night on the town. We headed downtown to a restaurant called Brits, and enjoyed a meal up on the roof. It was a busy place, all night we were being approached by men... who wanted to take our extra chairs. It was a little disappointing that that was all they wanted, I have to say. Hey, I'm a happily married woman but it's been a while since I've been picked up on and it would have been fun to say no. We did manage to have some good fun with a couple of guys, tho...near the end we had been sitting and gabbing with our bill on the table. A guy came over to us and asked us if we had paid our bill. I can't remember his exact words, unfortunately, but he was very rude and was basically telling us that he would take our table as soon as we leaved. ! After he sauntered off to stare at us from the bar, Donna looked at me and said, "No Way is that guy getting this table." I approached a couple standing close by and asked them if they wanted it, and we worked it out just right that as the guys were coming in for the kill we quickly swapped places with the couple. ha! No one gets rewarded for rude behavior, and we made sure of it. Go Donna, I love the way your mind works! You're so METAL!

Today, just relaxing around the house and getting ready for the big yard sale next weekend. We are total gluttons for punishment. Every year we haul all of our crap out in the front yard, sit out there in either the sweltering heat or pouring rain all day and haggle with people that offer a quarter for something that is marked 50 cents that we actually paid 50 dollars for. But every year we have to do it. The best part is that I leave my sale and go spend my money we've made on other people's junk. It's all part of the Circle of Yard Sale. Then that junk gets put our in our sale in the next year or so. Enjoy your weekend!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Donna - you're GORGEOUS! Nice to actually sort of see you!

    And Suz, the parade couldn't have been the same without your queen-wave...or queen-laugh...(whatever that is, ha).

    Glad you had lots of fun hoping for guys to hit on you (at the parade, AND at Brits, hahaha).

    And Happy Father's Day Coreman!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home