Diary of a Metal Mommy

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Songs I Never Skip

I love my iPod. I was very much loving it today when I took it out with me for a walk/run! The first one in quite a while, it was heaven in this Minnesota-spring-like temp of 40 degrees!!!! Really, I don't think I could exercise without music. Could you? The frustrating thing though, is how quickly one gets sick of their music. When a person is listening every day or every other day those 400 and something songs get old real fast. For those of you who only listen to music to and from work, and maybe some background stuff relaxing at home, I'm sure that's hard to imagine. But music is very much an inspiration for me to get my butt moving, so it's gotta be good. Sure I love my Lord of the Rings soundtracks, but they don't normally inspire me for a good run. (although they are nice for a pleasant walk around the lake, to be sure.)

There are however certain songs that I never press the fast forward button on and for some reason I feel compelled to share them with you.

--Tainted Love and Personal Jesus, the Marilyn Manson versions (but of course!)
Originally recorded by Soft Cell and Depeche Mode, Mr. Manson has totally re-invented these songs, in my opinion. The lyrics to both are amazing (especially Personal Jesus) and with Manson's driving beat, chunky guitar and haunting sexy voice
above it, oooweee! Now that's what I'm talkin' about. (I'm not sure what it says about me that I find Marilyn Manson both
interesting and sexy...I probably don't want to know...)

--Starry Eyed Surprise by Paul Oakenfold
I first heard this song on a Diet Coke commercial and immediately loved it. I searched on itunes for what I thought it was probably called, and I was right! I love discovering new songs. This one makes me feel all dreamy and in a good mood and makes me think of a night on the town in my wild single days. (the kind of thing that is always so much more fun in memory than it usually was...!)

--Grillz by Nelly
Like I've always said about Nelly, you've gotta love a guy who dedicates an entire song to his shoes. (Air Force Ones, another great tune.) He is so clever with his rhymes, he just cracks me up. Grillz is just hilarious and I'm always joking around about how I need one. (for those of you not in the know, it's the bejeweled mouthpiece that rappers often wear) My favorite line in the song has to be, "...got a bill in my mouth like I'm Hillary Rodham." How can you go wrong with that?!

--Only Time by Enya
Yes, here is the cheezy reflective side of me. This is also more of a 'walking around the lake' song verses a work-out inspiration, but I love it. Enya's music is so dreamy and reflective and as you can tell from my blurb about Starry Eyed Surprise I like to feel that way. :-) I like the idea behind this song, too, it makes you remember that you don't and shouldn't have control over everything. (which is a constant struggle for me...!) "Who can say where the road goes?...Only time...."

--Celebrity Skin by Hole
You've gotta love someone who refers to another as ' a pound of flesh'. Brilliant. I love the raw emotion and once again chunky guitar in this song. I love the way this song is so melodic and so grunge at the same time. And I can totally relate to the whole Hollywood vibe, after living there!

--Lacrymosa by Evanescence
Oh man, this is a total Goosebump song. It's relatively new and I just get the chills everytime I hear it. To me the ultimate sound is to mix beautiful classical instruments and sounds with chunky, loud guitar. I just love the paradoxical element of that. When this song resolves in the end on that final chorus of "Amen" it's another "ooooweeeee!" The Best!

So, there it is . A short list of Songs I Never Skip On My iPod. How about you?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, here my two cents...

    First of all, I don't have an iPod but an iriver (H10, 5GB - darkred/black). I really can't stand the white-designed items from Apple, which made me decide to go for a black/dark/alu-metal look. And thereby, an iPod normally can't play wma-files -- mine can.

    Secondly, I made a selection of music I want to put on it, so I already got stuff I normally like to hear (about 800 songs out of 4000+). Then, when starting the player, I always choose Playlist, to pick a certain album I love at that moment/for which I'm in the mood... The last few weeks it was often music from IQ, Marillion, Mostly Autumn, Stream of Passion, Ayreon, Kate Bush or Lori's Demo 2004.

    From the albums I pick, I will never skip a song. Also when listening to normal CD's at home, I'll never skip a song. I only skip whole albums...

    And no, I never use 'random' or 'shuffle' ;-)

    With love,
    Robbo

     
  • At 10:50 PM, Blogger ROBOTTONY said…

    current non-skip flavorites:
    1: Oceanic Celebration, from Odyssey into The Mind's Eye (soundtrack)
    2: Hear by Moonpools and Caterpillars (shoulda been more famous)
    3: More than a Feeling by Boston
    4: For My Lady by The Moody Blues
    5: The Mummers' Dance by Loreena McKennit (great vibe)
    6: Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush (yep, another bushie)
    for me, these song have stood the test of "only time".
    Hope to add Warbride to the list.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home