Diary of a Metal Mommy

Monday, February 26, 2007

A Snowstorm? Let's Party!!!

What a weekend! It definitely did what Minnesota does and dumped about a foot of snow on us. Beautiful! Many people have been grumbling about it, but you know, I don't mind at all. These days we don't get enough snow as it is. I always feel like, hey, if it's gonna be cold, we may as well have some pretty white stuff to go along with it. It's not 20 below like it was for so long. It's nearing the end of winter, so it will melt soon. And as I always say, it's really easy to like the stuff when you don't have to shovel/snow-blow it. Thanks to Coreman! (and as I've also said before, the only good thing to come out of a gimpy back.)

The snow really started kicking in early Saturday evening, as we were getting ready to head over to Stephanie's for her belated 40th Birthday Bash. She was really bummed about it, understandably, as there were sure to be some folks that couldn't or wouldn't venture out in the slip and slide to get there. But no, not us! I will not let a little snow keep me from celebrating with my peeps. I told Steph I'd be there if I had to walk over in my snowshoes! (ok, I don't own snowshoes, but I'd get some from Hoigaards just up the street.)

The party was amazing, as I knew it would be--definitely the highlight of the weekend. Stephanie looked beautiful in her fabulous forty glory, and she has wonderful, interesting friends that are definitely fun to chat with. Plus it's always fun to hob-nob with a few local celebs like Andrew Zimmern and Rudy Maxa, who are just as fun and interesting as you think they would be. The highlight of the evening was definitely giving Steph a special birthday surprise--Mod Hair Ken. Stephanie had brought him up a few times when we'd touch on childhood memories--I'm sure it all started with the Dirty Barbie story. (those of you who have listened to the podcast know just what I'm talking about. If you're curious, check out Episode #4 from our early days...) Kim thought of the wonderful idea of finding one for her, and good ol' ebay provided once again. The presentation was hilarious--since it's near-impossible to find Mod Ken complete with box and facial decals, we just had to make our own. I cut decals out of brown felt and labeled each one--of course I had to make up a few of my own. Ken just had to have a merkin. Kim's hubby Brian made an incredible box to put him in, complete with original 'artwork' and an open display window. The funniest thing was the card we gave along with it--we did a photo shoot of Ken and a random lucky Barbie and posed them in all sorts of compromising positions--then Brian photoshopped Stephanie's face on the Barbie. These we put on a self-made card that said, "You're Never Too Old to Play Dirty Barbies!" The gift definitely got the response from Stephanie that we were hoping for...but of course I wasn't counting on everyone at this glorious party taking a gander and seeing just what Kim and I are made of. Ha! Ah well, I can only fool people for so long. It's not long before they start to see the real me. Like as soon as I open my mouth....

So! Into a busy week. Vivian has one more little thing to shoot for her commerical thang today at Fallon, so I'll be dropping Sullivan off to hang with Cory at work, picking Vivian up early from school and heading downtown. It will be a lot of rushing, but there are worse things to do than hang out at a rockin' internationally known ad agency on the 28th floor of a building in downtown Minneapolis.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my gosh, what a Marvelous idea! That's an unique Ken, fo sho ;-)

    Now I'm definitely gonna listen to that FH episode soon. Already heard the first 3, so this is what's up next ;-)

    Thanks for the great photos and enjoy the snow! Just remember that we got rain here, and it doesn't look promising for the next couple of days either...

    Hugs, Rob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home