Diary of a Metal Mommy

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Heroes

So I just recently discovered a rapper dude named Deadlee--he was highlighted on CNN as a gay man in the rap business. You've gotta love that. I mean, you can't get much more macho and homophobic than rap music, and I admire him for being out there--and I mean really Out there. I have to say, tho, I took a listen to him on itunes and was a little disturbed by some of the lyrics I was hearing. I don't know what I expected, but I really don't need to hear about someone putting their finger in a crack. I don't care who or what is doing it to whom.--that's just nasty! In a little movie clip he's talking about the 'kids' who listen to his music and need an alternative to gay bashing, yet he's rapping about butt-cracks. So even tho I admire his chutzpah, I guess I'm not all that thrilled with his role-modeling. Dang, Deadlee, you could have really been a good influence there!

Now the Dixie Chicks on the other hand, they are definitely my new heroes. Generous Barbara Kopple, the director who filmed Vivian's recent commercial spots and also the Chicks' documentary "Shut Up and Sing" recently sent us a copy of it. Now as you all know very well I am no fan of country music and so haven't been too interested in these ladies--although I do have to say I have often wished I did like them just because they seem cool. After watching this documentary I can say that they are indeed cool--in fact, they may play some twangy tunes, but they are down-right Metal!

It all started with a silly comment as the war started to really heat up. One of the Chicks said from stage, "We're embarrassed that Bush is from Texas," or something to that effect. It is quite unbelievable to watch the repercussions of that benign statement unfold throughout this movie. All of these country folk are banning them, all of the southern radio stations. A woman holding her 2 year old child on her hip and telling her to say that the Dixie Chicks Suck on camera, and then in the same breath say how ignorant the band is. HUH??!! It's embarrassing to be sharing a country with people of that mentality, that's all I can say. I could rant about it all day and night, but of course I won't. Through everything, the Chicks have stuck together and amazingly looked at the whole thing in a positive light, as giving them a chance to re-create themselves, if you will, and create the kind of music they really wanted to create. They still won't apologize about the actual statement or feel sorry about it, and I LOVE THAT!

So there it is. I may even go out and buy their latest CD, just in pure support. Then my husband can listen to it on his way to work...he is very scarily listening to the country station in his car all the time now...eeeek! What's worse, country or Alan Parsons?! (sorry, honey.)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger ROBOTTONY said…

    Hi, just wanted to say that I'm proud of the Chicks, they have the ovaries to tell it like it is, also called, Freedom of Speech, which America is suppose to be about, I bought their CD but my friend "borrowed it" before I could unwrap it, she took my Dixie! there's a song in there somewhere, cheers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home