Diary of a Metal Mommy

Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

Where were you when you heard the news about the Twin Towers? Not unlike the OJ verdict, I'm sure many of you remember. But unlike the OJ verdict, this news caught us all totally off guard. And although loss of human life in any form is tragic and should never be overshadowed, it certainly was with the trial. That whole thing was a complete circus, even down to the nursery-like rhyme of "if it doesn't fit, you must acquit' saying. And although it is tempting to overshadow the 9/11 tragedy with thoughts of random terrorism, I think somehow the 'simple' fact that we lost all of those people that day needs to be what is focused on. Mothers, Fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, best friends....the list goes on and on.

I remember where I was that day. I had just come back from a beautiful walk. Vivian was at school, Sullivan was just a baby, and he and I had strolled the neighborhood on a glorious early-fall morning. We came in the house and soon after the phone rang--it was Cory, telling me that a plane had crashed into one of the towers and nobody knew what was going on. Like everyone else, I turned on my TV and watched the horror unfold. It was like a nightmare. And even though I was shocked and saddened it really didn't hit home until I saw footage of people, probably total strangers, holding each other's hands as they chose to plummet to their death instead of suffer what they knew was inevitable. Would I be able to choose that path? I hope I never know. But that image still haunts me to this day.

I think I'll always feel a bit removed from the whole thing, not living in any of the areas that were immediately affected by these tragedies, and thankfully not knowing anyone that died in the process. I consider myself very lucky to be so removed. I think because of that what saddens me the most about the whole thing is the loss of innocence that we all have now and will forever have. We CAN'T ever forget, because our lives are forever changed because of it. Most of us now live with more fear than we ever had in our lives. What a sad and tragic thing.

So, I'll continue to live in my "Leave it to Beaver" dreamland, always expecting the best from people and thinking on most days, today will be a good day. But today, September 11th, I want to say I'm sorry to anyone who was personally touched by this and that I hope beyond all hope that someday the world could be at peace. I'll be extra thankful for my family and the people in my life that I love and make this world a nicer place to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home