Diary of a Metal Mommy

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Metal Mommy and Her B Movie Career!

(get out your bifocals to see that photo! that's me, second from the left) Apparently (and amazingly) there are people out there in the world who actually remember Warbride from back in the glory day...proof in an email that went to Lori not too long ago asking if the band in the background of this movie was indeed us? When Lori sent this email to me I was immediately brought back to this time that we all drove out to the middle of Nowhere California--I vaguely recall someone saying we were close to the Manson Ranch, lovely--to play the part of The Band at a Party. If any of you have watched any 1980's movie, you know just what I mean. Some totally unknown background band is jamming away in the background of almost every one, while badly dressed 80's- clad boys and girls dance badly in the foreground, pretending they are really having fun. (and really liking the music.) I only have flashes of memory of that day, and obviously nothing big ever came of it! In fact, I can't even remember how it all came to be, and I KNOW that we never got paid.

Fast Forward to 2008, and Lori finds out the name of the movie. She Googles it, and Lo and Behold--there it is. She buys it--wow, look at that! You can get it on a compilation with seven other horror-able movies for only $9.99! Such a deal! (that was the only way she could find it, on that compilation!) She sends me the link, I order one for myself. (and just in time--there was only one left in stock! Why do I have a feeling if I go back to that site it will still say one One in Stock??!) It arrived yesterday.

Man, was that a blast from the past. Thank goodness it was not long into the movie and there we were, in all of our big-hair rocker chick glory. Never mind that my lips somehow don't move in time with what I'm singing, and never mind either that it's not actually my voice...we are a damn good Background Band at a Party! Also never mind that the song that's playing, "Nevermore", is a total rockin' ballad-y type song, certainly not conducive to dancing at a party. Those poor extras look even more silly than they would in a normal bad movie, trying to dance to a non-danceable beat. Pretty hilarious. We aren't on camera for long, but it was definitely worth the 10 bucks. Vivian walked in at one point and was like, "That's YOU? Mom, you were so cool!" That was DEFINITELY worth the money. :-)

The reason it's not my voice on there is because I had replaced a singer, and I myself had never done any recording with the band at that point. The guy who ran our rehearsal studio and sometimes acted as a so-called manager must have set this up--and if there was any money to be had with it at all, he must have taken it! Ah, to be so naive. Who cares, we were going to be in a movie!!! (insert eye-roll here.) As I said my memories of this day are vague, but I do remember meeting a great extra named Howie who became a very good friend for many years to come. I remember seeing a real live tarantula on the side of the house and being very afraid--especially as night came on and we were filming outside--to sit down anywhere on the grass! (shiver.) I remember seeing Martha Quinn on set--who the heck knows why, she wasn't in the film or in any of the credits. Probably too smart to admit she had any part of this movie if she did! And I remember even then all of us laughing at how very bad this movie was going to be. I mean, when a guy turns to another guy and says the line, "She may be a b*&%ch, but she screws like a demon!" that kind of gives you a clue of the quality you are dealing with. !

So there it is. If you ever run across Click: The Calendar Girl Killers , or even the compilation After Dark Thrillers in the bargain bin at your local video store and you feel like seeing me with giant magenta hair and Stevie Nicks-type metal garb, pick it up for a chuckle. But don't watch it thinking you are going to enjoy it at all. Even for the Funny Factor, you'll be reaching. It is quite possibly THE WORST movie I have ever seen in my life. It definitely leaves you wondering how anyone ever gave anyone money to have that one made.

And on an entirely different note (literally!), I am IN LOVE with a new song I've discovered and I have to share! I'm probably way showing how un-hip I am that these guys are new to me, but the song is called "A New Sky", by The Presets. It's a dancy-techno type tune--perfect working out or driving with the sunroof open on a fine spring day such as this music!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 5:49 AM, Blogger ROBOTTONY said…

    Cool, I'm on a mission, I'll search the four corners of the earth, this vid shall be mine!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home