Diary of a Metal Mommy

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Back In the Saddle...

...to get rid of the saddle. Bags, that is. Yesterday I re-signed myself up at the gym. I was going pretty regularly for over a year, but then I got into a walk/run faze, hit summer-time and thought--'who needs the gym'? Apparently, I do. I guess I'm just one of those people who will NOT work out out of doors unless the weather is perfect--and how often is that in Minnesota?! I am not like my hearty friend Steph, who gets out there and walks it pretty much rain or shine, icy patches on the street or no. One little slip on one of those patches and weee! There goes my back. So I guess the Ellipse machine and weights all in the confines of the athletic club is where it's at for me. And you know, I like it. I like having to get up and go somewhere, away from my house. I feel like I get a better workout on those machines than I do simply walking--or even running. I even missed the smell of the gym, I have to say. (well, most of the time. not when someone is working out next to me and they reek of B.O. Then the gym is not so pretty.) No, I don't plan on looking like scary macho Barbie here, but I do want to be feeling good and getting rid of that darn hibernation padding that creeps up around the middle this time of year.

So I started my day this morning with a bang, hittin' the gym once again. It was great until I almost passed out and/or puked from over-doing it. I got on the Ellipse for 30 minutes, then hit some weights and some floor stuff. I was amazed that I actually remembered how to work some of that stuff--and dismayed at how weak I am now. Man, it sure doesn't take long for you to lose your stamina and your brawn when you get off track. bummer. But! I know I'l get it back. But a note to self, and to the rest of you thinking about spring/summer and putting yourself back into exercise...go slow. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was a flat stomach. Luckily I was overall fine, but woowee, I sure hit that point where I was like, "I'm done!"

As much as I wanted to just lay down and go to sleep I needed to run out and get groceries this afternoon. I was pulling into a space and just as I was doing so, a car pulled up into it from the other side. I was grumbling and threw a dirty look at the person only to realize it was my dear friend Stephanie. ha! We had a good laugh about that one. Nothing like making grocery shopping more fun by having your peep there with you. We proceeded to stand in people's way at lunch-time at the salad bar, gabbing away--hey, we've had to skip some all-important coffee dates recently and had some serious dish to catch up on! Luckily we are squeezing in a coffee date in a couple of days so we can finish what we started by the olives. Never enough time to chat, my friends, never enough time.

And on that chatty note, I must run! The kids will be coming home from school soon and it's like Christmas every day to see what they brought home in their backpacks! :-) I will leave you with a lovely spring-like photo of my bulb pot I just HAD to buy. I highly recommend one of these to anyone living here in Minnesota at this time of year...bring on the spring!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Suz, good luck with the keep-yourself-in-a-good-shape exercises. I think you do really well ;-)
    I try to make a biketrip of approx 20 kms each week (if the weather is good enough, that is -- haha!). We got wonderful hills, forests, countrysides and fields of heather here, so it's lovely to ride there (actually each season has its beautiful things). How about there?

    Hugs, Robbo.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home