Diary of a Metal Mommy

Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Metal Mother's Day

Motherhood. "I love the universality of it. There are very few women in the world that I can't have a conversation with now." Wise, wonderful words spoken by relatively new mom Jennifer Garner. I love that statement, it is so true. Motherhood (or, parenthood in general) opens your life not only to new feelings you never knew you had and the experiences of raising a child that are simultaneously awe-inspiring and frightening, but it also opens yourself to others. Most of my dear friends I have I've met through my children. Children give you the excuse to talk to a complete stranger in a park, to strike up a conversation with someone that, for the mere fact that you both have children, you have something in common. Makes the world seem a little smaller, a little cozier, doesn't it?

I had a very nice Mother's Day. I really don't believe in making a big fuss out of these sorts of occasions, so we usually just keep things simple...but my family always makes a big fuss over me, and that is darn sweet. This morning I woke up to some lovely cards AND chocolate from each family member--Nice! I also treated myself to some perfume that I've been pining over since we did that 'smelling' on the podcast, I believe I mentioned it on a previous post. It's called Do Son, made by Diptyque. Heaven, my friends, pure spring-flower freshness heaven. I think I sprayed it on twice today, I couldn't get enough. I was worried originally that it may be too light, but actually a full-blast spritz does last quite a while. So that was a nice splurge for myself.

We started off at choich this morning, then spent the afternoon in Purgatory. It's true. There is this amazing wooded area with lots of trails to tread, and it's called Purgatory. You've gotta love that. We took Digby and we all enjoyed walking in the breezy sunshine. It actually got quite hot today! From there we went to the cemetary. The kids have wanted to explore the cemetary we see when we're at the lakes for quite some time now, so we thought today was a good day. We found Cory's grandma and grandpa's grave markers, it was nice. I used to be so afraid of cemetaries as a kid--too many ghost stories, I guess. Now I find them so beautiful and peaceful. And hey, it's not every day you get to purgatory and the cemetary in the same day....well, maybe it is!!!!

For dinner we perused my favorite Byerly's for a Bit of This and a Bit of That Dinner. I love those. Where you just go through the store and pick and choose things from the deli, chinese food counter, sushi counter, whatever...YUM. It feels so luxurious! Sushi, a bit of some Sunflower Pasta Salad, fresh pineapple and ice cream bars for dessert. All on the patio. I don't think it gets much better than that. What a lucky Mommy I am, not to mention the fact that I have the most amazing kids on the planet that have made Mother's Day possible. And I guess with Purgatory and the cemetary, it was a very Metal Mother's Day. Nice!!!

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Mother's Day, my dear!!! Love you!!!

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Same to you, my friend! XXOO

     
  • At 3:31 AM, Blogger ROBOTTONY said…

    Happy Metal Mother's Day! (it's still Sunday for me)

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Thanks, Robottony--you're very sweet!

     
  • At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good to hear you had such a nice ánd tasty Mother's Day! My mother enjoyed it too -- we didn't make a big fuss about it either.

    Something interesting, regarding to the second part of your blogentry: click here for a view fromout my bedroom...

    Have a great week ;-)
    Hugs, Rob.

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Thanks to you too, Rob! Very cool photo--a room with a view!~ How very metal indeed...;-)

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you Susie ;-)
    It was funny when I was younger and schoolfriends came along and saw this view -- they got all kinda scared by it (so I can imagine your thoughts when you were younger, hehe).
    We're living very close to the citycenter (it's not even 300 meters away from our house), but you won't find more nature than at this place. In the evenings, I often see the rabbits running and playing around --which is sooo much fun--, while the birds are making music and the sun slowly sets right in front of me...

    The previous photo was from last year. Here you can see a recent one (May 2nd, 2007).
    The purgatory/cemetery at your side looks wonderful too.

    With love, Rob.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home