Diary of a Metal Mommy

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Goodbye, Pluto

Well, it's official. Pluto is no longer a planet, it is now considered only a 'dwarf'. You would think that someone like me would adore the Lord of the Rings-like status of that moniker, but alas, no. For some odd reason, I am strangely saddened by the change in Pluto's status. I mean, something that seems as constant as the solar system can just be changed at the whim of some crazy scientist. And who makes these rules? "I've decided, after all of these years, that Pluto just isn't big enough to be a planet..." Poor Pluto! Picking on him, just because he's small! Frodo was small, too, and he saved Middle Earth. Okay, maybe not the same thing, but still.

I think what's weird is to think about how my kids will learn about the solar system in a totally different way than we did. Granted this is a given with the dinosaurs, since the details of their exsitence are constantly changing as scientists learn new discoveries. But the solar system! It makes me feel especially small to learn that it's changed.

Maybe I'm just weird for being so attached to a planet. Or maybe I'm just weird. Don't answer that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home