Diary of a Metal Mommy

Monday, June 05, 2006

39 and Fine!

Man, I am living Year 39 up, let me tell you. Goin' out with a BANG. Yesterday Kim picked me up bright and early, and we headed over to our sister city Saint Paul for the Grand Old Day celebration. Normally I don't go for these feel-good city celebrations...too crowded, too hot, too annoying. (I reserve that only for the State Fair) But that's where FM 107, the talk radio station, was having it's auditions for it's "Undiscovered Divas" competition. Originally we wanted to do it as a Feminine Hijinx trio, of course, but sadly they only let pairs try out. Kim kept saying Stephanie should do it, Steph kept saying Kim should do it...and of course I felt like maybe I should bow out if they wanted to go...in the end, Kim and I were Flynn (as in, in like) and off we went. Not really knowing what to expect, we were both pretty nervous.

To make a long story short, we NAILED it! After answering some questions on a form, we waited our turn and then talked with Ian and Margery, from "A Balanced Breakfast" morning show. They were very easy to talk to, I didn't feel nervous for long. When they asked us why we were trying out for this spot, before you could say 'meat curtain' I whipped out our Feminine Hijinx business card and handed it to Ian. As he looked at it and we talked about the name and our slogans (Always Fresh, Motherhood After Dark) his eyes lit up and let's just say we had he and Margery in the palm of our sweaty hands. They seemed to love the ideas behind the show and everything about it. Of course they asked about Stephanie and we told them we wished we could have brought her!!! At one point, given we were only supposed to have two minutes, a girl came by with a stopwatch telling them our time was up. Ian waved her away, saying that we got started late, and asked us some more questions! :-) So! We shall see. The next step would be getting called back as one of 10 finalists (10 pairs or people, I'm not sure) to do an actual one hour radio spot. Then the listeners vote as to who they like best, and the Grand Prize is a 2 month stint of your own radio show on Sundays! Woo! Oh man, would that be a hoot.

So, we're keeping our fingers (and everything else) crossed. At least I am. Kim is going through the "Oh My God, we did really well and we may have to actually do this!" faze right now. Somehow that hasn't hit me. BRING IT ON, I say! 39 and fine, baby, 39 and fine!

PS, as an aside, like my dear friend Stephanie, it seems that Blogger is having a glitch with photos lately. My posts will be a bit boring without any added photo fluff--but hopefully the content is just so darn rich you don't even miss them. (don't worry, they should be back soon)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home