Diary of a Metal Mommy

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Whoa, Kismet!


Sometimes things happen that just make you go Whoa. Today was the last full day of Sullivan's preschool career at what was once Edina Morningside Preschool, now Wooddale Community Nursery School. Earlier in the year, teacher Virginia had been in the house to look over toys I was donating and saw that I collected Stangl pottery. It took her down Memory Lane, as she commented that her grandmother also had Stangl in the specific Blueberry pattern. Ding! A bell went off in my head: Good End of the Year Gift! I found a bowl in that pattern on ebay, and decided that the same bowl in different patterns would also be good for the other three teachers. Besides Virginia's, I didn't really think too much about the patterns, basically just bid on whatever came up on ebay. (those specific bowls, in good shape, aren't that easy to find...) Eventually I did get my other 3, decided which one looked like what teacher, wrapped them up and brought them into school today.

Virginia was very happy to get that bowl, but the amazing thing was when Sandy unwrapped hers. Her eyes lit up and then filled with tears. She told me then that growing up she ate on Stangl pottery herself, on the exact Thistle pattern that was on the bowl I picked out for her! What are the odds?! I actually grew up eating on it, and the women in my family all collect it, but Stangl pottery is not exactly something that many people know about. Kismet indeed.

I bid a fond farewell to Wooddale Community Nursery School--or I should say to Virginia, Sandy, Sylvia and Sue--four of the most amazing teachers, amazing women I've ever known. They have made such a difference in both Sullivan and Vivian's lives--my kids could not have had a better start. I am so thankful they've been a part of our lives! Tomorrow is the last day of school party, and I'll try to hold it together...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home