Diary of a Metal Mommy

Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Fiddler Flu

Topol says, "Eeeeeuuuuu!"

As I think about my daughter dealing with the most vile sickness ever, (although she is feeling a bit better today, whew!) I am reminded of The Fiddler Flu. Years back, when Vivian was only a baby, I was in the Key and Kingdom Theater's production of "Fiddler on the Roof". The Key and Kingdom Theater is really just a fancy name for a woman and her husband who go to my church, who normally put on the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar" every year, but actually veered off in the complete opposite direction this particular time to do 'Fiddler'. I played the part of Tzeitel, the first chick to go against Tradition and have the audacity to want to marry someone she actually gives a wit about. (there's me and my love, Motel! And that's pronounced like a Model T people, not like Motel 6!) It was a blast to be in that--great people, great music, an all around great experience--except of course, the arrival of the Fiddler Flu. Also known to us as the Plague of Odessa, that winter's version of the stomach flu decided to rear it's ugly head and descend upon almost the entire cast. One by one they went down, or I should say, it came up. One woman barely made it off the stage. The man who played Tevye ran backstage to barf in the conveniently placed kitchen sink before getting back out to sing "LeChaim". (now THAT'S professionalism!) Every day people were missing from rehearsal or a show. Me being completely terrified of becoming the next victim, washed my hands obsessively and never ate the pizza that was brought to rehearsal, made it out relatively unscathed...although I had to quit the last performance early because I felt so horrible and was about to pass out on stage. It was not a pretty thing. The kind of thing you laugh about now, but at the time, not so funny.

Me, Nancy and Jenny--or, Tzeitel, Chava and Hodel (some of my Jezies!) Sure, we look happy here, but we're praying we don't barf!

On a happier and more pleasant note (hope you weren't eating whilst reading this post!), I want to thank those of you who clicked on my shameless Google ads (see above) yesterday. I'll have you know I made 13 cents. Hey! That's the first time ever I've been paid for my writing! Woo hoo! Keep clicking, people! Mama needs a new purse! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home