Diary of a Metal Mommy

Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Kitchen to be Thankful For

After having my dear friend Rosemarie say she was missing my blog posts, I figured I'd better get back to it. (how nice to be missed!) I also realized that in waiting for my house to be spotless to take pictures of it to post, I'd be waiting forever...so here's the kitchen in all of it's getting-ready-for-Christmas glory! I guess that's just the way it is in a real home...there are always dishes in the sink and things on the counter. I have to say, when we first looked at this home I loved almost everything about it--but I was worried about this small galley kitchen. That was one of the things from my old house I really wanted improved upon, and although the actual kitchen size here is quite large and it has beautiful new cabinets and granite countertops, the working area is smaller than I had. Hence the lovely kitchen island that you actually have already seen in a previous post. It's funny tho, so far I haven't even worked on the island top as I thought I would. I am able to do what I need to do in my little galley, but the island has been indispensable as far as extra storage goes. Of course it's a fun place to sit too, and has become the place to eat breakfast and lunch, and do homework.

I LOVE having my desk here in the kitchen. Of course my desk was in my kitchen in the old house, too, but the desk was actually our eating nook. Now I can really spread out and I have a place for everything. (but sadly, not everything is not always in it's place!) I'm still figuring out my work space, I think at some point I will probably put some shelving up above on the wall. It looks very bare right now, I haven't wanted to hang any pictures there yet until I get it all planned out. I'm just happy to have a place to call my own! Plus thanks to my ever-luvin' I've got my music going in my computer with some kick-A speakers, of which I can control with a remote from over at the sink. Nice!

Another thing I love about my kitchen is the view. Out the window in the galley area or the sliding glass doors by the island I can watch the deer go in and out of my wooded back yard. Out the sliding door is a deck, which we haven't been able to use much since we moved in just as it was getting pretty chilly. Eventually we'd like to re-do the deck--it looks kind of precarious and could definitely use a staircase down into the yard. All in good time. What would a person do if there weren't updates to make on their house??

And speaking of kitchens, whether you spent a lot of time in yours or not I hope you all had a very nice Thanksgiving. I only had to make a couple of pies and the infamous candied yams to take up to Connie's in Park Rapids. It was a lovely holiday indeed that we spent not only with her but also with my brother and his son Miles. We even got to cut down our own Christmas tree from the Wenger's lot--thank you Nikki and Arnie! Christmas has indeed officially blown up in our house already. I guess I'm finally feeling ready. Are you?

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the update!

    So what's the plan for gourmet?
    Any recipes to try...?
    Rosemarie

     
  • At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay for another update!
    And your kitchen looks cool, Suz ;-)
    Have a nice time during these 'dark days'...

    Cheerio, Rob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home