Diary of a Metal Mommy

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake!

And eat cake I shall, apparently, now that I am going to be living in a new 'uppity 'burb. I didn't grow up here in Minneapolis so it's all Greek to me, but I guess anyone who lives in my new zip code is given the lovely term 'Cake Eater'. It's beyond me as there are definitely enough well-to-do people where I am currently, but there it is. I guess it started way back in the high school sport world, where fans from Edina would shout to the others, "your dad works for my dad", and things like that. I suppose I can see why people that grew up hearing that hold a grudge, but ah well. I'm sure those things aren't said anymore, not in this PC world we live in now. (at least not out loud. eeek.) All I know is we found a bigger house with more space around us for LESS money in both house and taxes than we are paying here. So why wouldn't I eat cake?!

Life has been crazy crazy around here lately--first trying to find a home, then finding one and getting all of the details sorted out. Then there is the fact that the kids will be in a new school district, and all of the rigamarole that goes with that. And that needs to be sorted out in all of a week! Both Vivian and I need to get our heads around the fact that at 6th grade in this new district she will be starting Junior High. eeeek! Neither of us are prepared for that! She'll be jumping right in. She's a bit nervous (of course!) and sad about missing her friends (of course again!) but she's also excited for her new adventure.

Meanwhile I'm a busy party girl with my new Silpada Jewelry business. I have to say, it is a blast--and where else could I make over $500 for a few hours' work?? Gotta love that. I get to sport lovely jewels, hang out with women at parties and make good money. Nice!

In all of this craziness the Coreman and I managed to squeeze in a date--the other night we attended this cool benefit called 21 For Kids, a dinner and auction put on by Wild hockey player Mark Parrish to benefit local charities that help out kids in need. It was a blast, and I was all ready to plunk down some serious ching for an autographed poster from the latest Harry Potter movie, "The Order of the Phoenix". Oh man, when I saw that I was freaking out, knowing how much both Vivian and I love the books and movies. I was totally caught up in the hype of it all and before I knew it I was writing down $550 on the line. Yikes! Probably lucky for us, we didn't win it...it went for $900. Whoa! Coreman kept joking that I'd be giving up my new washer and dryer in the new home for the poster. I suppose he was right! We've got to sort out our priorities, after all. (in the wise words of Ronald Weasley.) The event itself was a blast--amazing food, hob-nobbing with the stars (at least star hockey players, not that I knew who anyone was) and listening to a fun band called The Zoo. All in all it was fun to get gussied up and go out with my man. These days those evenings are few and far between!

And tonight, gussied and out with my peeps Stephanie and Kim! Those lovely ladies are taking me out for a pre-birthday dinner, I am so excited! I haven't given one thought to my birthday coming up, honestly. But I am so happy for any excuse to spend time with my lovely friends. So much has been going on in our lives and we've been too busy to dish about it! Maybe I'll order a nice slice of CAKE for dessert....;-)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday Suz! Yay for 41 ;-)
    Make it a fantastic day, but don't eat too much cake, hehe.

    Cheerio,
    Rob.

    Ps. I tried to leave a message earlier on, but it didn't appear so far -- so here another try, sorry.

     
  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger ROBOTTONY said…

    A Very Happy Birthday!(and a day) fourty-one, make it fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home