Diary of a Metal Mommy

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Rudolph Goes to Arizona

How are you all doing with the holiday craziness? I'm doing quite well, I must say. I sort of enjoy the hustle-bustle of the season--probably because I'm an over-prepared Virgo who often has half of my list done way early and because we always just stay here for Christmas. Pretty easy. I will say I haven't baked hardly anything this year--one measly batch of Christmas Snickerdoodles and some Christmas Crunch--normally I do a few varieties of cookie and have them all on plates ready to give away. With Digby this year, I just haven't had the time. And you know, I don't feel the least bit guilty about it. Maybe that's yet another 40 thing? I don't know, but I like it!

One thing I've really been enjoying this Christmas is Sullivan's story-writing. His love of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer has inspired many an illustrated book. His latest depicts himself and Rudolph digging all the way to Arizona, even with me saying that I miss him. I am amazed as I see what he comes up with...in this story he actually draws a house on page after page, getting smaller and smaller as he gets farther and farther from it. How did he know about perspective like that?! His little mind never ceases to amaze me. At any given time I'll look in his room and see this sight...Sullivan working hard at his desk surrounded by paper. I love it.

Check out this lovely early Christmas gift I received from Lisa! Inspired by our trip to YUM Bakery I'm sure, she bought me a couple of these hand-blown glasses. (I could make a dirty joke here, I but I won't.) YUM serves coffee in them and also sells them at their shop. They keep the coffee nice and hot, but you don't feel it on your hands. They are the coolest! (no pun intended!) A definite gift recommendation for anyone on your list. Oooh, just lookit the steam coming off that cuppa Jo! Doesn't it just make you want some??

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger ROBOTTONY said…

    ah yes, that cuppa christmas jo, a warm cinnamon roll and a toasty log in the fireplace, wish christmas last longer.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    Cheers, Robottony!

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Look Sullivan's papers on the ground. That's just too cute!
    That little poet... ;-)

    We got our tree too now. It's as nice as usual.
    Funny thing, my little sis is having her Birthday at Christmas. Quite special, isn't it? :-)

    With hugs and love,
    Rob

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    A Christmas birthday! Does she get frustrated with the fact that her birthday gets overshadowed by it all, or does she love it?

    Enjoy that tree!

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, I will :-)

    She doesn't get frustrated, because she's loves the fact being off school at her birthday.

    The most negative point is that not all family is coming by, as they celebrate X-mas or just stay at home.
    Because we celebrate Sinterklaas (remember?) and don't celebrate Christmas, especially not the American way with presents under the tree, a huge dinner with family, etc, but only with a little extended dinner and birthdaypresents, it doesn't overwhelm this day for her.

    Talking about presents, I still have to buy something for her, this week...
    Darn, I'm frigging busy at school :-(

    Btw Susie, isn't it a nice idea to come over the pond to see Lori and the other lovely Soppies play live? Just get your husband to take care of the kids (or take them all with you) ;-)

    All the best,
    Rob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home