Diary of a Metal Mommy

Friday, September 29, 2006

Four-Dee!

I love it. I went over to my friend Lisa's house yesterday to enjoy yet another lovely play date with her and her kids. She was telling me about how, in the Spirit of 40, (even though she's not even close, the young whipper-snap!) she started taking swimming lessons! That may seem like sort of a benign statement--but when you realize she is trying to improve her stroke and abilities so that she can participate in a triathlon, which has been a long-time goal of hers, you understand just how impressive that is. Rock on, Lisa! That's so metal! I'm totally impressed with anyone that does any sort of 'thon'. I may try my hand at 'running' every so often, but doing it seriously and in a race in front of a lot of people is just so not me. There was Kim as well with her half-marathon, getting a medal and everything. (if you look closely you can see said medal in the photo!) Women who rock, women who are pushin' it, Four-Dee!

Of course the Spirit of 40 and doing something metal isn't only for sporty stuff, or only women-- oh no. I am remembering this guy I know who decided out of the blue to audition for the musical Vivian was in last year, Jesus Christ Superstar. He had never done anything like that in his life...never acted, never sang in front of people. But it was something he had always wanted to do, and he got up there and did it. I was totally impressed! He picked what is probably one of the most difficult musicals to sing, too!

And 40 is something you can do in your every day life, as well. Not long ago Stephanie and I were out for coffee at Starbucks--on one of our lovely weekly Friday coffee dates! hooray!--and the Americanos we got were, well, very American. Bland city. It definitely needed more coffee oomph. In the not-so-distant past I never would have said anything, I would have just gone on drinking it and hating every sip. But The 40 took hold and I took my cup AND Stephanie's cup and asked--very kindly, that is the key of course--if they could add another shot of espresso. I offered to pay for it, but the barista was very nice and did us up right for no extra charge. Yeah! Ask for what you want, people. Put yourself out there! Be 40, be Metal.

OK, I'm done cheerleading for today. It is Friday, after all. No exciting plans for this weekend here, maybe just a game night with our friend Tony on Sunday. (which for me IS total excitement!) But it IS Friday after all, and I'm getting ready to meet my date Stephanie for our coffee! Woo! A great way to start the weekend. Maybe this time I won't have to ask for stronger coffee--but if I have to, I will, damnit!

5 Comments:

  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YOU GO, GIRL!

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We didn't have to ask for stronger coffee, did we? It was KILL. Dunn Bros, mmm... Once again, made my day, and I was more than a little crabby before I left the house! Susie Sunshine, hahahaha. Not very metal - but NICE.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    I forgive you for calling me Susie Sunshine because you are my friend. But nobody else had better try it. Ha!

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Suz,

    This is my first comment in your blog. I already told you in the Warbride one (btw, thanks for the link), that I like your interesting stories :-)

    All I want to say is that this one is a marvelous post. "Be 40, be Metal" so cool! I just turned 20 2 weeks ago, but looking at you, I got many metal years to go...

    Good luck with Warbride, keep on blogging and a hug from the Netherlands,
    Rob

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    Hey Rob! Thanks for the visit and your kind words! Another young whipper-snap, indeed. :-) But YES, as you well know I'm sure, metal is an attitude and just because the years roll by doesn't mean you have to give that up! Your support is always appreciated.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home