Diary of a Metal Mommy

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Squirrel Droppings

Ahhhh, Saturday morning, just me and my friend Jo hangin' out whilst the family still sleeps. Although I LOVE to sleep in, I have to say I very much enjoy the mornings when I actually drag myself out of bed. These days I take my coffee and sit on the porch, listening to the breeze through the trees and our little birdie-friends chirping away. Sometimes I'll catch a rabbit hopping by or some romping squirrels. Which reminds me...

The other day Cory and I were sitting on our patio having a nice chat as the kids played inside. (why is it that WE are often out enjoying the air and the kids would rather be in?! Don't get it, when I was a kid, I was ALWAYS outside...!) As we talked we were watching a couple of squirrels do their usual chasing and running, jumping from tree to tree. All of a sudden, not 10 feet away, a squirrel came plummeting down from a branch and landed with a thud. It was as if it was in slow motion--I saw the squirrel coming down, but as much as I wanted to turn away, I just couldn't. Ug, that thudding sound! Luckily it was only a bit stunned and was soon back to it's romp, but it was frea-ky. What was really sweet, tho, was that it climbed slowly back up into the tree after it happened and the other squirrel that had been playing with it came over, making little squeaking sounds, and literally put it's nose right up to the other's as if it were kissing it, making sure it was ok. Whew! Don't need to see/hear that again. I've only seen that happen one other time, and it was on cement. That was not pleasant either, but again, the squirrel just got right back up and into the tree. It's amazing that sort of thing doesn't happen more often, really. Ug!

Yesterday was a nice day--just did the usual weekly grocery run and then took the kiddies to the Rec Center pool. I have to say other than dealing with the crowd and just the thought of everyone's bodily fluids all swirling together in a massive cesspool, it's a great place to be. (don't I just make you want to be there right now?!) But really, I'm very thankful we have that only a few blocks away. The kids just love it there, and it really is very cool with it's slides, 0 clearance area, fountains, sand play area, you name it. We get season passes every year. I have to say here in Minnesota it's often too chilly for me to want to be in a pool--I have to have it blazing hot to really enjoy it, or I feel cold--but even if we only get there a few times I figure the place is worth supporting.

Just took a break from my writing to go have a run with my friend Kim. A run! Me! Twice around Lake Harriet, I might add. (which makes over 5 miles! woo!) I may have a gay gait, but I'm doin' it anyway! The legs are a bit sore, but overall, it was easy and I feel great! Woo! That's been a nice way to start a weekend, I might add. The rest of the day, I have no idea what it holds. Kind of a lazy day, which is nice. We may drive out to Scion to ask about the luggage rack. I don't really want to add one, but, there really isn't a lot of room in the back for stuff--and we'll need that room when it's time to go to Brookside! Of course, if I end up getting that radio show--eeek--then we'd be taking 2 cars anyway. It would really stink to miss the first 2 days of Brookside, but a small price to pay to be a semi-regular on FM 107. We shall see.

Right now Cory is once again trying to install an MP3 converter in Phat Thunder. This is the second one we've been sent. It's been just another chapter in the Scion Saga. I'll have to go into it sometime, but right now I'd better finish this novelette.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home