Diary of a Metal Mommy

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th!

Happy Birthday, America! I have to say, saying that statement there on my blog is about as patriotic as I get. I am not one to raise the flag in my yard. Now don't get me wrong--I'm appreciative of all we have in this free country, and of the people that fought (and continue to fight, sadly) and died (and continue to die, even more sadly) for me to have the life such as I do. But at this point and time, I feel it's almost an embarrassment to be an American. What with us trying to flex our muscles and try prove to every other country that we are the biggest and the baddest...somehow it just makes me think of a big two-year old. But I don't want to turn this entry into a political statement. I'd rather focus on the fun.

It was a good start to the day, kicking my husband's ass in a game of cribbage out on the patio. It was a lovely morning, a cool breeze blowing and our little birdie friends hanging out with us. And of course winning my game made it all the better. I even had to give my husband a quick flash in victory. Cribbage used to be the way we started every morning, before children. Coffee and cribbage. And we always had a victory dance, whoever won. (yes, even my Norwegian husband did victory dances. I've seen many a bare butt wiggle in my face over the years.) Now that the kids are getting older, we can actually get a game in once in a while. Very nice!

After cribbage I also started the day with a run around Lake Harriet!!! Kim and I went the other day, and she gave me some good tips about combining running and walking, assuring me that it is NOT whimping out. Yay! So I went around the entire lake with ease, I might add. Nice. Felt really good. It was sure crowded down there today! At the very end of my run, wouldn't you know...I saw a couple walking a ruby Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, the dog I covet. Sigh. I almost stopped them and gushed over the dog. I even contemplated asking them if I could rub my shirt all over it, taking said shirt off right then and there. (a suggestion made by a breeder, to give to Vivian and have her sleep with to see if she reacts) I can only imagine what a freak I would have looked like, so I abstained. It was difficult, though. sigh sigh sigh.

Seems to be a game day all around. I went out on the patio to find Vivian and her friend/neighbor Justin playing a game of Pokemon. Then I heard noises downstairs and found Cory and Sullivan playing The Dinosaur Game. Could anything be better? There is nothing I like more than a good game with friends and/or family. (well, maybe a podcast with my peeps...but that's a different category...!)

Lookit what I almost jumped into the shower with today. (sorry, Steph, but I had to do it!) UG! Usually the tub is the best place to find a spider or centipede, because a person can just grab a cup and wash it down the drain. This crunchy thing, however, looked as though it wouldn't even fit down that drain. UG UG! Thank goodness Cory was home today, I called him in from the studio to get it. He sounded annoyed but when he saw it, I think he understood. He even commented on how we could filet the thing. UG UG UG! So much for independence, though, having my husband get that spider. Since it's the 4th, I should have saluted that spider as Cory carried it out in it's crumpled paper towel tomb. You almost have to have respect for a spider that big.

So later today, we head to our friends Dawn and Mark's for some 4th fun. A swim in their pool and a hang with them will be very nice. Then in the evening we'll head over to Steph and John's for more fun and fireworks on the golf course! Woo!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn that spider! Shiver. Every time, I get the shiver.

    See you soon for fireworks!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home