Diary of a Metal Mommy

Monday, July 10, 2006

Puppy Blues

Today I mourn the loss of a dream. A puppy dream. You've read how all of a sudden I've been inflicted by a serious case of Puppy Fever. Don't know how, don't know why, but lately it has been an obsession, a total craving. I am the first to admit that I'm sure it's a hormonal thing, but hey! Hormones are real, too. And they must be a-ragin'! I know I don't want another baby, but man. The puppy thing has come on strong.

So even though we hadn't even gone through the family decision making process as to whether or not it's really a good time for a puppy right now, I thought it would still be a good idea to bring Vivian to a breeder to see how her allergies would hold up around the Cavaliers, just in case. She's been just fine around many other dogs lately, so we started to think that maybe those allergies were waning. Sunday afternoon we took a drive to visit Kris at Mystic Knight Cavaliers, where we were greeted by no less than 12 Cavaliers off all ages and colors! Oh man, I was in Cavalier Heaven. The kids were totally delighted, there is nothing better than the sight and sound of puppy-induced giggles. We had brought a shirt and blanket along at Kris' suggestion, something for Vivian to sleep with and/or wear in the days to come to see if she reacted. Well, there was no need to even experiment with that. By the time we left about a half an hour later, Vivian was itching a spot on her face and I saw that hives were developing. She went through an entire travel-sized Kleenex package on the way home, blowing her nose. (and if I had let myself go, I would have used the entire travel-sized package of Kleenex as well, from crying!) So needless to say, I don't think a Cavalier would be the healthy choice in our home at this time. Maybe it was the fact that there were 12, but still, chances are...not a good idea.

The next step will be to see what the allergist says. Of course we couldn't get in until August. At that point we'll talk to him and see if we have any options at all--possibly one of those 'hypoallergenic dogs'' that I've heard about? Don't know if there really even is such a thing, as often the dog's saliva can be the culprit, not just the fur or dander. Of course I'm so glad we did all this before we had our hearts broken even more by owning a puppy and having to get rid of it. And of course nothing is more important than the health of my little girl.

But damn. I'm sad. (so sad in fact, that even my dear friend Stephanie was moved to dedicate an entire entry on her blog about my puppy blues! Awwww, what a friend!) When we returned, upon seeing me my lovely husband who understandably doesn't quite get the idea of spending that ungodly amount of money on a dog, told me that someday when Vivian moves away I can get my Cavalier. Sigh. That's a long time to have puppy fever. I know these things wax and wane, however, and that's helping me through. But can you stand that face up above?? Wouldn't you know, as soon as we found out it was a dying dream a breeder sent me this photo attached to an email saying this little guy was available right now for a very affordable price. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home