Diary of a Metal Mommy

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Farewell, Summer...

I'm here! I know it's been forever since I've blogged--so sorry to the two people that check up on me here every so often. ;-) All is well, it's just been a busy summer. And the times that weren't busy...well, who wants to write about that?! As writing a letter or journal entry can be DAUNTING when you haven't kept up with things--so much to catch up on!--I will make this more of a scrapbook entry, if you will. On to the Highlights of My Summer:

As nice as it is to have the summer to DO things, often there is nothing better than to just lounge on your deck in your cushy Papasan chair. Luckily we HAVE a Papasan chair, and a darn nice view of the woods from our deck. Nothing quite like relaxing out there, especially with a nice summery Tanqueray and Tonic. Now that's gettin' your zen on!

Normally I hate having to be involved in one of my kid's school projects...it's like, didn't I go through this already when I was in school??? But Vivian's summer project for her upcoming advanced Social Studies class was to do a report on some historical place of her choice in Minnesota. She chose the Split Rock Lighthouse, which is up in Two Harbors. What a great way to start off the summer--taking in gorgeous views of the north shore and just feeling one with nature. Plus I got to hang with my brother and his kids, it's always great to see the cousins having a good time together. This was one project that was just as interesting to me as (hopefully!) it was to Vivian, and one thing I did learn for sure...those lighthouses are a bit claustrophobic...

Ahhh, the 4th of July. At Stephanie and John's, once again. How lucky are we to get pampered and spoiled by the best cook (s), the most gracious hosts, the lovely scenery, titillating conversation (I love that word) and fireworks on the golf course?? Honestly I never cared that much about the 4th--well, not since I was a child and we spent it at Iowa City City Park every year...great memories there--but the 4th with Steph and Company definitely now makes it a highlight of my year!

Summer is great for family togetherness, but it's also superb for donning your favorite sundress and going out for a lovely dinner with your peeps. Somehow Stephanie Kim and I have stumbled into a dare-I-say regular routine of trying a new restaurant together once a month or so...well, new to Kim and I--we let Stephanie guide us to the right places! Oh do I love hanging out with my girls. Never underestimate the power of getting a bit gussied and having a night out with your buddies! It is a wonderful thing. Of course the sad thing is this has sort of replaced our podcast get-togethers for now....but only for the time being. I'm not ready to give up on Feminine Hijinx yet!

Summer in Minneapolis would not be complete without visiting one of the 10 thousand lakes! Not much makes a Mommy happier than to see her child enjoying themselves so completely and so purely in the sand and sun. Sullivan spent hours this day working on a very cool sandcastle complete with moat. When we dragged Coreman back out there that evening, it was amazingly still there.

Ahhh, Brookside. Our family will probably never have any other summer vacation but heading up there--but you know, that is not such a bad thing. Kids are safely free to roam and play, parents can relax (or be active...I myself mostly choose the former...!) with good company and just be a family. And since Brookside is also a childhood memory for me, that makes it all the more special!!

And we say goodbye to yet another summer by hitting the Great Minnesota Get-Together..the State Fair, of course! Both kids had their artwork displayed and ribboned...Sullivan getting a blue for his first time in! Yes, the fair is crowded and dirty (oh, the germs!) sometimes unbearably hot...but I for one can't resist it anyway. Where else can I eat a gyro, some mini donuts, fries and an elephant ear all in one day, absolutely guilt-free??!

So there it is, my friends, my summer in a nutshell. Nothing too spectacular in some eyes, I'm sure, but perfect by me. The only downfall is that it went by wayyy too fast...and it goes faster every year. I am excited tho, for the new beginnings that a new school year will bring for the kids. Here we go again...!

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wowie, great photos you got there, Susie! Really like the second one and the sixth is utterly cute ;-)
    Good to hear you had such a exciting summer!
    See ya, Rob.

     
  • At 12:44 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Hi Rob, my faithful blog reader who stays with me even when I'm not here...:-) Thanks for your kind words, as always. I hope all is well with you?

     
  • At 12:27 AM, Blogger Sheyna said…

    "As writing a letter or journal entry can be DAUNTING when you haven't kept up with things--so much to catch up on!"

    Oh, I am SO with you there! Nice to "meet" someone else local. And a big congrats to your kids for having their artwork at the fair. And ribbons! What a tremendous accomplishment.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Thanks so much, Sheyna...so fun to see you here!!!:-)

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Waaw, Happy Birthday to you, Mommy! ;-)

    Yeah thanks, I'm doing quite fine. I quit my study at the university and will start my first job next Monday.
    And I had a cool holiday all alone at home -- you can see some photos of the day trips that I made on my website if you like -- check the 'Fotoalbum' buttons.

    Hugs!
    Rob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home